Saturday, March 18, 2006

Great Moments in Aunt-hood


  • Singing the "Spongebob Squarepants" theme song at the top of my lungs with my nephew, and seeing him making this great face at the "OOOooooohhhhh" part, and then singing, "Bob bob bob bob, Bob bob bob bob" through the whole song (He says, "Bob-bob" for Spongebob).
  • Going to the zoo with my nephew and hearing him say, "Whoooaaa!" at every habitat, even if there isn't an animal in it.
  • Him being so excited to see me that he is jumping up and down and running at me for a hug.
  • That he really wants to be with my husband and me and is comfortable sleeping at our house and doesn't make a fuss at all.
  • Enjoying my favorite movie with him, and he is loving it, too!
  • Being trusted enough to kiss the boo-boos.
  • Making funny faces at each other until one of us starts laughing.
  • Goodnight hugs and kisses.
  • Sharing my favorite books and songs.
  • Being able to shop for baby clothes and toys for someone.
  • When he takes my hand to show me something, or says, "Runnie!" which means he wants to run with me (the toddler exercise program).
  • Discovering the world through his new eyes and seeing things I never saw before.
  • That he puts up with me when I take lots of pictures of him, and he even says, "Cheeeeze" most of the time.
  • His little hand in mine.
  • When he used to lie in my arms and just look into my eyes as a little baby.
  • Snuggling and reading books at bedtime, and watching my husband read to him.
  • Getting completely soaked while giving him a bath!
  • One of the best Christmas presents ever - hearing him say my name for the first time on Christmas Eve!
  • Cuddling!
  • How hard it is not to laugh when he's being bad.
  • Family Naps (ie: we all take a nap when he takes an afternoon nap!)
  • Going to Panera Bread for dinner, where he and I had bagels, and when we were leaving, he looks back at the bakery area and yells, "Bye bye bagels!"
  • Dance Parties and Jumping Parties (where all of us - my nephew, my brother, my sister-in-law, my husband, and me are either dancing around or jumping up and down)
  • Going to the ZOO!
  • That my brother and sister-in-law trust me enough to leave the most important thing in their world in my care.

Since I love being an aunt (and an honorary aunt), I'm sure there will be more to come...

3 comments:

Depressionista said...

What a lovely post. It got me all mushy today and put a few tears in my eyes. My favorites are:
"Being trusted enough to kiss the boo-boos," "That my brother and sister-in-law trust me enough to leave the most important thing in their world in my care," and "Snuggling and reading books at bedtime, and watching my husband read to him"...in addition to the bagels story, which is adorable!

You are such a good aunt (and honorary aunt!) When you tell me about your times with Drake, I think about how he much richer his life is and he doesn't even know it yet, but that as he grows up and has you and Sean as a constant presence in his life it will be so wonderful for all of you! I see how my nieces are with my mom and dad and know that Drake will be like that with you two--completely comfortable, completely at ease, and completely bonded. You are giving him a great gift!

Tingle said...

Wow! Your comments bring tears to my eyes! I want to go get him and squeeze him right now! :)

Cass said...

That was a wonderful post. What a lucky kid Drake is! And how lucky his parents are to have you around for all of that support!! You made me feel all mushy inside too! A lot of people could learn from you. It made me realize that I need to focus more on the fun stuff lately as a parent myself! Thanks for that reminder!