Monday, March 27, 2006

Little China Blog

And when I get excited, my little China blog says "Oh baby just you shut your mouth."

April 2006 Trip to China

Many people are asking, so I am posting the most recent itinerary for my trip to China, which is in 3 weeks!!! I've put links where I can so you can see some of the things we're doing and places we're going. There is also a blog for the trip itself, so go to The Road Not Taken for updates. They will try and update it while we are away, when internet access is available.

I will fill in some of the blanks (like where we are staying, etc.) as I receive the information.

Saturday, 4/15
Cleveland to San Francisco

Monday, 4/17
San Francisco to
Seoul (flight 1:00am depart, 5:30am arrive)
I just read that you can get a shower in the airport for $8 US - which is a bit pricey, but anyone who knows me, knows what I'm doing with my 4.5 hour layover!


Tuesday, 4/18
Seoul to
Beijing (flight 10:00am depart, 10:45am arrive)
Note to my brother (who asked if he should go ahead and hire a lawyer now to bring us home) - I have located the
US Embassy in Beijing, just in case...
Stay at
Songhe Hotel

Wednesday, 4/19
Tour of the
Great Wall and Ming Tombs
Beijing to
Xian (flight 8:05pm depart, 9:45pm arrive)
Stay at Ludao Binguan Hotel


Thursday, 4/20 (MY 10th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY! )
Tour of the Terracotta Soldiers, Xi'an
This site was created by Qin Shi Huang, a founding emperor of the Qin Dynasty. Begun in 247 BCE when Qin Shi Huang was enthroned at the age of 13, the mausoleum is in fact a magnificent underground palace.
Stay at Ludao Binguan Hotel

Friday, 4/21
Train to
Kaifeng, Henan Province
Motor coach to Shangqiu

Saturday, 4/22
Bus to the villages where Global Ministries' projects are on-going

Gangwang District, Zhecheng County, in Henan Province is one of the most impoverished areas of China. With the help of a Beijing medical school student and a government official we will travel to this area which has been hit by the affects of HIV/AIDS. The average yearly income for these farmers is $700 a year on their one acre "farm." Several years ago, some sold their blood in order to earn extra money. The needles that were used were tainted with HIV/AIDS and now many have died, are sick, and have left children without caregivers. If you have talked to me about this trip, you know that this project is something I am passionate about and seeing our programs there will be a highlight for me.

  • Background on our work in Henan Province
  • Small loan program for farmer families living with HIV/AIDS
    Through the Small Loan Program for farming families borrow interest-free, short term loans to establish projects such as pig-raising and green-houses. Funds are returned after four months and then lent to another family or the same family.
  • AIDS Village Foster Home for Children and Child Sponsorship in Henan
    Over 100 children have been orphaned in the Shuangmiao Village in Henan Province. Many have been left to care for themselves. A home has been established for 50 children in the village. Through the Global Ministries Child Sponsorship Program these children are receiving health care, food, and education.
  • Paint for Chengliu Primary School
    With our partner the Zhecheng Succor (HIV/AIDS) Society, Global Ministries is building 12 new classrooms in the Chengliu Elementary School. One-third of its 400 students have family infected by HIV/AIDS. Many students have dropped out because their ill parents could not afford to send them to school. A photo of the new construction is at the right.

Return to Zhengzhou
Capitol of Henan Province, on the Yellow River

Sunday, 4/23
Train from
Zhengzhou to Guilin (train 10:58am depart, 5:36am arrive)
From what I understand, we will be staying in "soft sleeper" cars during this 17+ hour train ride. 4 people to a car, with bunks, and we'll at least have a bathroom (I asked). There will be many stops along the way, where we can sample different foods.

Monday, 4/24
Arrive Guilin 5:36 am
Downtime with facials, massages, lunch, walk along the river, etc.
Guilin is considered the Garden City (see photo to the right). It is small by Chinese standards, only a half million or so. Here we get to relax.

Tuesday, 4/25
Bus to Longsheng for day trip
We will travel by bus to the hills of Longsheng, where we will see the Dragon's Backbone Rice Terraces (see photo below).
Return to Guilin


Wednesday, 4/26
Bus to Yangshuo
Lunch or dinner in Jiuxian
We will have the opportunity to ride on the
Li River and admire the karsts (see photo to the right).
What is a karst? These strange knobby hills are what makes the Li River so famous. Karst is a geologic term that describes geologic formations subject to forming caves and sink-holes. Limestone and gypsum are typical materials that makeup these kinds of formations. They dissolve easily in water. Over time the ground water will migrate in an underground stream carrying the dissolved material along with it. Eventually caves will form, then sink-holes if the cave ceilings give away.
Night in Yangshuo

Thursday, 4/27
Wander the streets/shops
Bus back to Guilin for a trip to the famous Commodities Market
Goodbye dinner

Friday, 4/28
Guilin to Guangzhou (flight 8:00am depart, 9:35am arrive)
Guangzhou to
Hong Kong (flight 11:35am depart, 12:35pm arrive)

In Hong Kong, we will spend time with two
Global Ministries mission personnel - Bruce Van Voorhis and Judy Chan. We will have an opportunity to learn about justice issues affecting those in Asia, especially China.
Stay at
Bianchi Lodge-Caritas, Hong Kong

Sunday, 4/30
Hong Kong to Seoul (flight 1:15pm depart, 5:40pm arrive)
Seoul to San Francisco (flight 7:40pm depart, 2:10pm arrive)

Monday, 5/1
San Francisco to Cleveland

All of China is 13 hours ahead of Eastern Time.

2 comments:

Depressionista said...

Wow, I'm tired just reading this! It's cool to see where you will be going. I will definitely be looking back on this post and going to the other blog to follow along with you and to try to quench my thirst for you during your absence.

I have two recommendations, which I know I have probably made before but I cannot stress enough: Immodium, lots and lots of Immodium, and a big ole tube of A&D Ointment. And I don't want you getting Walsalve A&D or anything like that--go for the brand name this time. I hope you will keep a journal of what you eat (and your bodily reactions to it) so you can share when you return. Is it weird that the thing I'm most interested in is what you're going to eat????

Also, I think it's kind of funny that on your 10th wedding anniversary you will be looking at replicas of soldiers and other instruments of war in a mausoleum.

Finally...I think you will come back from China a changed person...and I think it will change you in a good way. I just have a feeling!

Tingle said...

Deppy, this is great advice. Don't worry, I'm planning on the Imodium - but I hadn't thought of the A & D, I happen to have a "backup" tube not even opened yet, so that's the one I'll bring (and it's brand name and everything).

I didn't think of a food journal, but since I'm hoping to do a lot of journaling, I will write down the food, too. Don't forget, it's all about "squatting" in China, so if I have issues, we could have another "Michigan City" experience!

Yikes - I hadn't thought about changing. Scary... I hope my friends still like me.

Thanks Deppista! You are always so good about thinking of things I didn't think of.