Monday, April 14, 2008

Plan B Update!

After some significant anxiety, the first shot went well - my husband gave me the first shot, and he did great. I was more worried about the side effects and being emotional. The only thing I've experienced is the hot flashes, which is nothing new for me during this fertility roller coaster. We started the shots on Friday evening, so we've done three so far.

This morning, S. and I went back to the fertility center to be checked. They drew blood, but I won't know the levels on that until later. They also did an ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries. My left ovary had one follicle, but that was probably the same one that they saw at the first ultrasound, which is likely residual from last month. But the good news is that the right ovary had 5 follicles! (Eggs grow on the ovaries in capsules of fluid called follicles - I explained to S. that it's kind of like a zit - and when it "pops" the egg is released).

Follicles are monitored by ultrasound to determine the number and size of the follicles developing. Probably not all of them will mature or release, but it's good news that I'm responding to the medications and we're on track for possibly doing the next insemination in the next 5 days or so. (Above is an ultrasound of several follicles - the "mature" follicle has the reddish dots around it. This is not my ovary, just an example)

So we keep hoping!

2 comments:

Gumby13 said...

Thanks for the update! Wow, I'd be pretty nervous giving myself a shot. I think I would've done the same thing and have someone else give me the shot (well, at least the first one until I got used to it).
I'm glad to hear that the follicles/zits (tee-hee! the comparison makes me laugh)are numerous. That sounds hopeful. I hope you don't have too many hot flashes! Good luck!!!!!!

UnrulyArchivist said...

Oh man, I was all excited because I thought that was your ovary! Man, this is such a long wait...