Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Need to Know...

OK, so I've heard of kidney stones, gall stones, etc. Can you get liver stones?

I need to know, because I was eating some braunschweiger this afternoon and got a really hard piece that almost broke my tooth. Braunschweiger, aka goose-liver, is usually so smooth and creamy. I'd like to think this was a "liver-stone" and not a piece of goose beak or toenail.


Braunschweiger tip of the day: About a week after opening, the meat will change from a fresh pinkish color to a dull gray, and will then begin to turn green. If it is not consumed quickly after it first turns gray, the braunschweiger is no longer edible and should be disposed of immediately.

2 comments:

UnrulyArchivist said...

Did it look like this? (Scroll down for the good stuff): http://www.creativestudios.com/health/stone.html

Upon first consideration, I suspected this was a dreaded honkohepatolith. However, when I clicked on your link, I discovered that braunschweiger is actually pork liver sausage, not goose-liver; therefore, I conclude that it must have been an oinkohepatolith, common in porcine sweet meats. Fortunately, the oinkohepatolith is rich in calcium, and in fact provided an important source of fiber for the ancient Pig-mee Tribe of Trichinosia.

Tingle said...

Good stuff, Savanah.

This particular "braunschweiger" is in fact goose-liver, though, I should clarify. Guess they use that term pretty loosely.

Dude, that link is CRAZY! And no, the think didn't look like that, it was tiny.

So, you can naturally flush your liver? I never knew there could be liver stones!