Sunday, September 07, 2008

Miracles

Sometimes, miracles are life changing. And sometimes, they are small and personal. Today, I had a small and personal miracle.

We have season tickets to the Cleveland Browns, and today's game (while they lost) was a treat because the Ohio State University band (the best band in the land!) played the half-time show. I LOVE marching bands!!

But I digress... sometime early in the 1st quarter, something flew right into my neck and fell on my lap. I jumped a bit, and looked down to see a GIANT insect. The girl next to me started completely freaking out, practically climbing on top of her boyfriend's head.

It was a dragonfly. Clear wings with black veins, green-yellow on its body, and long black legs. It's wingspan was about 5 inches. And it was sitting on my lap on top of my wadded up jacket. I picked up my jacket so I didn't squish it under my arm. And I just looked at this amazing creature. A moment of serenity in the middle of the noise and humanity of a major sporting event.

I told the girl next to me that dragonflies don't bite or sting, and she calmed down a bit. I tried to get it to fly away, blowing on its wings, trying to coax it off and on its way. It was the largest dragonfly I've ever seen alive.

When it was apparently not going anywhere, I let it sit there, on my jacket on my lap. I wanted to take a picture of it, but my phone was in my coat pocket and I knew it would leave if I tried.

I thought it was maybe dead, it was sitting so still. But then, all at once, it flew off.

It continued to fly around, diving and fluttering over our heads, practically running into us again. At one point, the lady behind me tapped me and said, "Don't you wish you would have killed that thing when you had the chance?" And I said, "No! They don't sting or bite, and they are good luck." She didn't say anything after that.

The dragonfly is very similar to the butterfly - they both are flying insects with four wings, and they both go through a metamorphosis period to emerge as fully formed and functional new creatures. For the dragonfly (and its closest relative, the damselfly), life starts out encased in an egg. These eggs are laid in water, and when the young dragonfly emerges, it is known as a nymph.

They can spend three years in the nymph stage, living in water, waiting to truly take form. The chance that the procedure of morphing from nymph to dragonfly is painful is very high. The first step seems easy enough. The nymph just climbs out of the water to rest on a plant stem or leaf. But then, the process really begins! The skin of the nymph begins to split, with the new head emerging from the ruins. The rest of it emerges, until finally free, its wings have a chance to dry and become strong enough to fly. The process takes about two hours. However, it won’t be fully complete for another day or two, when the beautiful colors begin to fully come in.

Once it goes through metamorphosis, it flies into the air and looks down at where it came from. It is suddenly in a new medium, a medium that would be vastly inconceivable by water creatures such as it had been under the surface. Its configuration and physiology undergo such a total change that it could be somewhat analogous to comparing it to a two-legged's spirit when it rises up and enters the spirit world. Dragonfly can now discover, search, and grow, by a simple beat of its wings.

Dragonflies are incredible - they are amazing flyers, darting like light, twisting, turning, changing direction, even going backwards. They are inhabitants of two realms - starting with water, and moving to the air with maturity, but staying close to water. Some believe they represent change. In Japan, they represent new light and joy, courage, strength, and happiness. Dragonflies are reminders that we are light and can reflect the light in powerful ways if we choose to do so. Dragonflies are connected with water and Springtime, fertility, renewal; and is considered a messenger. The dragonfly is the symbol or resurrection in some Native American legends. Not back from the dead but more like onto the next life. To some Native Americans they are the souls of the dead. The Navajo believed that dragonflies were a symbol of renewal after a time of great hardship.

My dragonfly experience has stayed with me all day. It was magical. It was a small, personal miracle meant just for me. I don't know what it meant, if anything - maybe just to give me hope. Had it landed on someone else, they probably would have smashed it or stepped on it.

Sometimes, miracles happen when we are in distress. But, maybe sometimes we have to look for our miracles. Maybe sometimes we have to be open to miracles. And maybe sometimes we have to take the moments of happiness that we are given and realize that those seemingly small moments are miracles. Those are the kinds of miracles I believe in.

10 comments:

John Cobb said...

That is wonderful marce. I love you.

askin said...

A very nicely written article.
You can have a look at "SMALL MIRACLES" by Askin Ozcan. Thirty true and very stunning miraculous incidents from the author's own life in different countries.
ISBN 1598001000 (Outskirts Press)
http://www.outskirtspress.com/smallmiracles

UnrulyArchivist said...

I'm curious to know what you mean by "giving me hope"...hope for what? Not trying to sound negative, just sincerely curious about what it is you are hoping for these days.

It sounds like a beautiful experience.

Grama Ritzy said...

Beautiful! Now I REALLY get it. Love ya!

Tingle said...

Don't know exactly what kind of hope - hope for life, hope for happiness, hope for being a parent. Hope for all things positive in my life.

Jake said...

The way you write about this is both inspired and inspiring. Hope is a funny thing, tt requires both desire AND belief. I don't think this "random event" could have happened without you and a lot of other little things coming together perfectly... This is exactly the kind of miracle that gives me hope too. Thanks for sharing!

Gumby13 said...

Your dragronfly visitor reminded me of how I enjoyed a particular butterfly back on Tuesday, September 11th, 2001. The attacks had already occurred earlier that day, and I was outside of my house, sitting by my flower bed on our walkway. Many neighbors were outside, obviously distressed about what happened earlier. To add to the chaos and jittery environment, we all heard a large plane fly over, which was kind of freaky, since we knew all planes had been grounded. (I wasn't too freaked out, since we do live near D.C., so there are a lot of military bases -- but it was still surreal, as I had never assigned possible fear to the sound of an incoming plane.) But in all this chaos, I strongly remember a beautiful (huge!) Monarch butterfly which was flying around my flowers and decided about that time to land on my foot -- and it stayed there for a long time. I was just struck by how beautiful it was, and how even in all the truly awful things that happened that day, here I was sitting and enjoying a gorgeous butterfly, my flowers -- even the incredibly blue sky (if you remember, it was a beautiful September day). I felt kind of guilty that I would be enjoying it, while many other individuals and families suffered so terribly that day. Well, for whatever reason, that is one of my strongest memories of an insect, and September 11th -- who would think those two things would be so intertwined?

Grama Ritzy said...

Yesterday I read your blog and In the evening, visited a friend. While admiring her garden, I noticed a stepping stone with the impression of two dragonflies on it. It gave me a warm fluttery feeling in my chest. Kind of an eire, but good feeling. When I got into my car there was a dragonfly like creature desperately trying to escape. With the same eire feeling, I managed to catch him and send him on his way. I like to think of the the little fly in my car as Erol, and the dragonfly's on the stepping stone as the child who will make me a Great Aunt one more time, one way or another.

Tingle said...

You guys are all gonna make me cry!

lilCherie said...

wow...sorry I havent checked in on your blog for awhile! That was an awesome story. That was a miracle. I love dragonflies and I am still astonished by how everyone else reacted around you. I am glad that you wrote about that moment...you will be glad that you did!