Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What NOT to get little girls this Christmas

In the mail today, I got a catalog that really freaked me out!

The catalog is for "My Twinn: the just-like-me doll!"

These are dolls that are personalized to look like little girls (apparently boys are not allowed to have dolls, lest they grow up to be loving, nurturing adult men).

First, you pick an outfit - obviously every little girl's favorite part (right).

Next, you pick one of 5 skin tones, one of 9 eye colors, and one of 10 hair colors. Does anyone else think it's weird that there are more eye colors than skin tones??

Finally, you upload or mail in the child's photo. Presumably, these will be used in unsavory ways after the doll has been made.

Then, a "My Twinn Artisan" will craft your doll. Can you imagine? "I got a degree from art school and now I'm a My Twinn Artisan." "Say again? A My-what artisan?"

All this for just $130! And don't worry, you can not only buy more outfits and accessories for your doll, but they also sell girl-sized clothes so you and the doll can look exactly alike!

In this photo (left), I'm not sure which has a blanker stare, the kid or the doll.

Once the doll arrives, you obviously name the doll after yourself. Then, you light some incense and follow the ritual printed in the box to bring your doll to life.

When the doll has developed your trust and the trust of your family, it smothers you in the night. Your doll then becomes you, and no one is the wiser.

2 comments:

UnrulyArchivist said...

I love the ending! I think I'd buy one if it could take over my life for awhile....

Grama Ritzy said...

Stepford dolls! Creepy. Very Creepy. What creeps me out even more is I probably know people who would like those dolls!!