Sunday, June 21, 2009

Going for a Ride

In solidarity with my friends and colleagues who are bicycling to General Synod in Grand Rapids (riders began in NY, and the Cleveland crew left this morning) and because Sean wanted to, today I took a ride in the park. I have a new bike, so this was the first time I'd taken it out (although I did ride it around the neighborhood). After shaving my legs for optimal speed, we loaded up and went. Here's pretty much the breakdown of the ride:

5.5 = miles we rode
1 = stop made on the way there
3 = stops made on the way back
2 = walkers I passed
0 = bicyclers I passed
3 = dragonflies I saw
1 = great blue heron I saw (coming in for a landing, it was cool!)
1 = stop made for ice cream
20+ = times I complained about the ride being too hard
1 = time I broke down in tears because it was hard
1 = time I asked Sean to go get the car and pick me up
0 = times he picked me up with the car (after I broke down, he went to get the car, but I got back on the bike and finished the ride. When he got to the place where he thought I'd be waiting, he said there were people looking into the canal and he thought, "Oh great, she went into the canal!")
1 = old guy on a bike who verbally harassed me
1 = guy I saw riding a bike with a Burger King crown instead of a helmet
1 = number of times I said I should probably carry a personal defibrillator with me

Here's me on my bike today:


And, in case you are wondering about my super-awesome t-shirt, here's what it says:

3 comments:

Grama Ritzy said...

Loved your blow by blow description of the ride. Loved the t-shirt. Both were awesome. I NEVER get tired of your humor. Love you.

Gumby13 said...

Congrats on your new bike!!!! That is awesome. And it seems like you saw so much too. If this was your first official ride on the new bike, I think it is great you did 5.5 miles. I know I get tired at 6 miles (I know I'm a wimp). My excuse is that I haven't had enough time to get used that seat jabbing me in the butt! I think you have to build up some kind of butt-toughness to go for longer rides!

cherylb said...

Marcy this is so funny. I laughed so hard at the part about you asking Sean to go back and get the car to pick you up and then when he returned and saw people looking in the canal. I had those same experiences when I used to ride bikes with my brother. I can laugh at them now, but they so were not funny at the time.