Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Holy S'mores!

I originally posted this on my blog on MyUCC, but since no one can find it there, I'm reposting it here...

I was recently talking to a friend who said that his kids were making S'mores in their Sunday School class the next day. When I asked what lesson that went with, he wasn't really sure. So, I came up with this theory of the divine S'more.

Just to clarify, the S'mores I am referring to are the camp desserts made from toasted marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers. Three ingredients. A trinity.

In my S'more theology, the graham cracker is God - the substance, the part that holds everything together and surrounds all. Jesus is represented by the "good stuff" - the chocolate. And what holds it together is the Holy Spirit, melted by the fire of inspiration and connecting us with God and Jesus.

While each ingredient is tasty on it's own, combined together is what makes a S'more such a treat. Without any of those ingredients, a S'more just wouldn't be the same. It is complete and yet made up of separate parts that become one.

And yes, S'mores are messy. Just like life and faith. Does anyone have it all figured out? I like that we are all on this big camping trip together, sitting around the campfire. When we really enjoy our S'mores, we're covered in marshmalow, melted chocolate, and graham cracker crumbs!

4 comments:

Grama Ritzy said...

Amen!

Grama Ritzy said...

Amen!

Daria Schaffnit said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

this post is a work of art. I lost it at "A trinity." You are so talented. You should be writing a book!