Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Please, please

Sometimes I wish I could share the horrors I see. But I don't want to put that burden on anyone else.

Please, please find compassion for Syrian refugees. A great number of them are women and children (80% in some refugee camps) and they are the ones suffering. I think of the faces of friends and family and how it would be if I had to flee bombings and shootings, taking the hands of the children I love, leaving behind the ones who have been killed. How do you even mourn for those you love when so many have been killed?

Bad people take advantage of every disaster, from looters to rapists to fringe groups to terrorists to those who exploit. Yes, the world needs to react, but punishing those already suffering from the same threat is NOT the way. Don't let our fear of the few be the reason we turn our backs on the many in need.

We, as humanity, are better than fear, we're better than hate, we're better than hiding under our beds while everyone else in our house is slaughtered. We are the ones who must let everyone in and, together, we can barricade the doors against hate. We CAN turn this world around, we CAN live in peace. But only if we refuse to react in fear.

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” - Yoda

"If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also." - Jesus

No comments: