Thursday, June 15, 2006

Got Gas?

It's nothing original to talk about gas prices - everyone is complaining about it as much as they complain about the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter!

I used to say that as long as a gallon of gas was cheaper than a gallon of milk, I'd be grateful that my car doesn't run on milk. Well, it's been quite a while since I've been able to find gas for cheaper than I can find milk! Think I could find a car that runs on milk?

And another thing, why oh why do they put the fractions on the gas prices??? I don't get it. First of all, it's always 9/10 of a cent. Has the U.S. Treasury EVER offered fractions of cents, ha'pennies, if you will? Secondly, have you ever seen gas for 2.98 and 8/10 of a cent? Or 7/10 of a cent?

I think one of these days, I'm gonna ask for my fraction of a cent back in change. Better yet, I'm going to calculate how many gallons of gas I've purchased in my life, and how many tenths of cents I am entitled to by the petroleum companies!

Here's how I figure it:
12 gallons of gas per visit = 1.2 cents
1.2 cents X approx. 4 times a month = 4.8 cents
4.8 cents X 12 months a year = 57.6 cents
57.6 cents X 14 years of driving = 806.4 cents

That's $8.064 those bastards have stolen from me! Just think, I've only been driving for 13 years, what about someone who has been driving for 25 years? Or someone who drives a whole lot mor than I do? And multiply that amount by thousands and thousands of cars and drivers, and that's a nice profit!

How do they get to do that and keep getting away with it? If I had a lemonade stand and started selling lemonade for 49 and 2/3 cents, wouldn't people want to know why? Wouldn't they throw a fit? And if I said, "Well, since we don't have fractions of cents, we'll just round it up and you can give me 50 cents."

In other words, it doesn't make a fraction of sense!

1 comment:

Depressionista said...

Ha! You are so right. I didn't even pay attention to the fractions...until now! That $8.064 dollars could have bought you...well, at this point in time, approximately three gallons of gas!!! It's outrageous!

This kind of goes along, tangentially, with my "beef" that when you go to the meat counter to buy "a pound" of ground meat, they usually heap on just a tad over a pound, then look at you like, "do you really want me to carve off the .2 pounds of meat or shall I just package it up?" If I'm feeling generous, or am in a hurry, I just let them pack it up, but if I'm in a bad mood, well, they're shaving that pile down until it's 1.0 pounds, thank you. I think it's a scam to sell more meat. If every customer gets .2 pounds more per order than they ask for, it only takes 5 customers to sell an extra pound of meat.

So I hear ya!

P.S. I love your last line. So witty!