Friday, March 16, 2007

It's the End of the Week as We Know It

NOTE: All the photos in this blog entry are actual Cleveland photos from this week. I did not take any of them, however.

People around here are talking Armegeddon. Here's a brief overview of the week (mostly from my perspective) in Northeast Ohio:

Monday - Earthquake (see blog entry: Shake, Rattle, and Roll in Cleveland!)

Tuesday - The weather was 72 degrees and perfect. Driving to work at around 9:30am (I went in late), I was amazed by the stripes of contrails criss-crossing the sky. The news reported later that they were inundated with calls, questions, photos and e-mails as the contrails were reported in the sky across northeast Ohio. Contrails (see photo) are man-made cirrus clouds created by hot jet exhaust. When the hot exhaust hits the cold atmosphere, condensation occurs, creating ice crystals which create the visible trails. Amazingly clear skies, just the right amount of humidity and very little air movement in the upper atmosphere led to numerous contrails being visible in the skies that day. Most days the contrails are quickly blown apart by air movement in the upper atmosphere, but since there was very little air movement, the contrails were visible until the sun went down. Contrail is short for "condensation trails" which are sometimes called "vapor trails."

Due to the weird warmness I washed my car, and even vacuumed the inside. Of course, later that evening, it rained.

Upon my arrival at home that evening, our land-line phone wasn't working. The DSL and satellite TV were, however working. Using my mobile phone, I called in the problem to the phone company and was told by their automated system that the problem will be resolved by the end of the day Wednesday.

Wednesday - Another warm day in the 60s. Around sunset, a cold front moved in and the temperature plummeted to temps in the 30s.

Our phone was still not working, so I called the phone company with my mobile phone to see what was going on. They told me that they came out to fix it, but that the problem is inside the house and they would need to schedule an appointment. I was a little irritated that I had to call them to find this out and that, even though I gave them my mobile phone number, they had not contacted me to tell me this.

After hanging up, I called back to see if the incoming calls could be forwarded to voice mail since it was presently just ringing busy. They couldn't get that to work, so they had my calls forwarded to my cell phone. In the middle of setting that up, I looked outside and the sky was black with big, rolling clouds. My husband yelled to me, "Hey, tornadoes!"

Strong thunderstorms, wind, hail and tornado warnings accompanied an incoming cold front. A tornado touched down west of Cleveland. Rain continued overnight. Flood warnings are also posted for the entire night. Later, the rain teamed up with sleet, snow, and ice. After two days of very warm weather, it was quite warm in the house and I had trouble getting comfortable, so we opened the bedroom window for some air.

Thursday - After a restless night sleeping with the window open because it was so hot, we awake to 2+ inches of heavy wet snow. Traffic was a nightmare as many streets were flooded, trees and branches were down from the wind, and traffic lights weren't working. The snow melted by noon, but the day remained cold - in the 30s. We experienced a beautiful orange/pink/blue sunset and a thankfully uneventful evening.

Friday - Today, everything seemed calm, the traffic was tolerable, and I even called in to the local radio station on my way to work to relay an "embarassing moment" and was the first one they put on the air! But now, just a bit before noon, huge dramatic snow flakes are steadily dropping. ugh!

When my boss told me there was a partial solar eclipse coming up (on Monday, March 19), I started to wonder, "What's next? Frogs falling from the sky? Locusts?" Unfortunately, we won't be able to witness the eclipse from here. It will be visible mostly in eastern and central Asia and northern parts of Alaska.

One weather blogger (yes, there is such a thing) said, "Only in Cleveland could we have an earthquake, tornado, thunderstorms and snow all in one week." The news is calling it a "Wacky Weather Week" and quoting the old adage about weather in northeast Ohio: "If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes!"

I say, "Repent! The end of the week is near!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I hope you don't mind my posting, but I found you through a google blog search. Almost 2 years ago, I also had to deliver a baby too early. I felt a lot of those same feelings, and I'm glad you shared them so that I could find your blog. Up until now, I haven't found anyone with a similar experience. Thanks. (I know you wrote it on an older post, but I'm posting here so you see me. I hope I'm not bringing up any sadness or making you cry or anything. I know how it can hit you all of a sudden. Sorry!)

Depressionista said...

I'm so glad you made it through the rain/sleet/snow/earthquakes/tornadoes/floods/everything else!

I always thought we had bad weather until I visited Cleveland. It's pretty amazing, really. But the company makes up for it!