Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Random Nugget

Sometimes, the English language really bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I love language, but the crazy rules make you wonder how anyone can learn this impossible language.

Here's my issue: why is it that the plural of hoof is hooves, the plural of leaf is leaves, the plural of scarf is scarves, the plural of wife is wives, wolf is wolves, loaf is loaves, dwarf is dwarves, but the plural of roof is roofs???

It really bothers me. Can't we get some consistency here people?

1 comment:

UnrulyArchivist said...

I find it interesting that this bothers you, because for me, that's one of the things that I love about the English language! Maybe it's because I learned my grammar not at school but more by ear--I mean, even today, after a degree in English and 15 years of writing for a living, I couldn't confidently tell you what an adverb is or what nominative case is, but I can tell by the way it sounds if it's correct or not. That's why I sucked so much at learning German!

The inconsistency of the language makes me feel like I'm good at something that's at least a little bit hard for some people, which is an ego boost. But I still think Chinese would be harder!