Thursday, February 28, 2008

Undertaking Underwear

As I was getting dressed today, I contemplated my choice in underwear, as I do everyday (see: The Hierarchy of the Panties). I tend to save "Lucky Panties #1" for a day when I feel "lucky" or want a pick me up. Right now, these are a pair of orange panties. While I chose another pair, I wondered if I might be buried in my Lucky Panties. Then I thought, "Do they bury people in their underwear, or don't they bother?" I don't mean burying people in ONLY their underwear, but with underwear under their clothes. I mean, nobody would know if you had underwear on, even if you had an open casket.

I had a difficult time finding the answer to this question. I came across some stories by Googling "dressing the dead" that were candid and comforting, but none mentioned underwear, although some mentioned panty hose and how difficult it is to put them on a dead body.

Finally, I came across one answer under "death and funerals" on answerbag.com. Here's what they said:

"This is a good question! When most people die, their relatives organize the funeral. The undertaker will ask those left behind if they would like the deceased to wear any special clothing and if so, they will be dressed in those items upon their funeral. If you supply underwear, then the deceased will be wearing undies. If not supplied, then they will wear just the suit/dress that was supplied. If nothing is supplied, then they will wear a gown."

Good to know! Guess I better make sure that my loved ones know where my Lucky Panties are!

2 comments:

UnrulyArchivist said...

I was going to say that in my funeral experiences with J.'s mom and dad, I think we supplied underwear.

I would definitely want underwear, but I would love for the bra to be on ONLY for the viewing, if necessary (maybe rigor mortis would give me a new level of firmness and I wouldn't need one?) I wouldn't want my boobs to be bound for eternity, ack! How uncomfortable.

But I know you would want your bra and clean panties to wear into the afterlife. If I'm around, I'll make sure it happens, and now that I know, I'll make sure it's the orange ones! I'll also make sure the mortician does something to hide your nips, puts on some lip balm and makes sure you smell good!

Your brain is hilarious. I love how you think about this stuff!

Gumby13 said...

Yeah, I would definitely want underwear on for my burial/cremation. However, I would want them to be comfortable. It wouldn't matter to me whether or not they matched, since in life they rarely do! I think some sort of sports bra/sleeping bra would be ok. I'm glad you bring these important topics up.