Wednesday, February 27, 2008

There is a Crack in Everything...

I recently watched a documentary called, "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man." It was fascinating to learn about this poetic genius. I remember my mom having a Leonard Cohen album and, after being raised on the Beatles, Cat Stevens, and John Denver, as a kid I just didn't "get it."

Even as I got older, I have to admit, as best friend K. can attest, that I didn't always appreciate Leonard Cohen. His voice and style was so very different from what I was used to. I liked some of his songs (I want "Hallelujah" - song that literally breaks my heart every time I hear it - played at my funeral, in addition to previously mentioned song), but many I guess I just didn't "get."

As I was watching this movie, I was moved to tears by nearly every song. And I wondered to myself why that was, why the music and poetry of Leonard Cohen was moving me so much now.

After thinking about this for a while, I came to the conclusion that there are just things we can only understand after having certain life experiences. For some people, they may never get to that depth of understanding, but for some of us, even though we feel we have always been "deeper" than the average bear, we can't begin to know our depth until certain lemons have been thrown at us by life.

I think K. has always had that depth, and experienced so many painful things so much earlier than me, and some things that I have never experienced. So Leonard Cohen's music, among other things, moved her at a different level than I was capable of feeling at the time. Now that I've been thoroughly trampled by life, I get it. I totally get it and am moved to the point of deep agony and elation when listening to his music, and moreover, the poetry in his music.

My new favorite Leonard Cohen song is "Anthem" - the revelation of the phrase, "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" completely shook me, and gave me a different perspective on feeling "cracked" as a person.

"Anthem"

The birds they sang at the break of day
Start again I heard them say
Don't dwell on what has passed away or what is yet to be.
Ah the wars they will be fought again
The holy dove, she will be caught again
bought and sold and bought again the dove is never free.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

We asked for signs the signs were sent:
the birth betrayed the marriage spent
Yeah the widowhood of every government -- signs for all to see.
I can't run no more with that lawless crowd
while the killers in high places say their prayers out loud.
But they've summoned, they've summoned up a thundercloud
and they're going to hear from me.
Ring the bells that still can ring ...

You can add up the parts but you won't have the sum
You can strike up the march, there is no drum
Every heart, every heart to love will come but like a refugee.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
That's how the light gets in.
That's how the light gets in.

2 comments:

kerry said...

I am so excited to be mentioned in your blog (at least I think that is me you referred to!) Welcome to the ranks of Leonard Cohen fans. I've always felt that his words are poetry put to music...

UnrulyArchivist said...

I have to admit I am completely ignorant about Leonard Cohen--but this makes me want to check him out.

I agree with you that there are things we can understand only after we've experienced more "life" (i.e., heartache and tragedy). I feel that way about Bruce Springsteen. I never liked him much when I was young, but now I find that many of his songs really touch me and mean something to me now.

I guess it is one way in which pain gives us depth and richness...