Thursday, April 24, 2008

Plan B Update 4

Monday and Tuesday were brutally uncomfortable. I pretty much laid in bed on Monday evening and cried. Tuesday wasn't much better. We did the "trigger shot" on Tuesday evening. For this one, we had to mix the dilutant with the powdered HCG. Thankfully, S. was paying attention when the nurse showed us how to do it, because I was feeling so miserable it was hard to concentrate. S. did geat, the injection burned a little when it went in, and I also started feeling very sore where the injection went in. The nurse said I might get a big welt or bruise, but I kept checking all night and that never happened (but it was very sore).

Wednesday, I seemed to rally and felt much better, just felt like someone had punched me around on the insides. And the injection site was very sore, like I had a burn there or something. Also, my breasts were starting to be really sore.

So, this morning, I wasn't feeling great again. S. went in at 7:30am, I went in at 9:00am. I wanted him to go with me, but he was hemming and hawing and I wasn't feeling well, so I just left and went on my own.

When I got in, the nurse told me they wanted me to do supplemental HCG shots, but 1/4 of the dose of what we did on Tuesday evening. The supplemental HCG is to support the lining of the uterus and prepare for implantation and also support the ovaries as they recover from the stimulation (enhancing the ovary's progesterone production).

Then I stripped from the waist down and got on the table. She didn't pull the stirrups out all the way, so trying to get my ass to the edge of the table was quite a feat since my legs only bend so far. She eventually pulled the stirrups out further, that was a relief!

Next was the speculum fun. I HATE speculums, I think they are absolute torture. Did you know the first gynecological speculum dates back to around 400 BC Greece? In all that time, no one has come up with something more comfortable??

Anyway, she kept readjusting it because she had trouble getting good access to my cervix (possibly because it was higher in my body because hopefully I'm ovulating). It was pretty uncomfortable. Then she tried to put the catheter in, but it kept curling back when she tried to get it in, so she threaded and rethreaded it (while I was cramping) and readjusted the speculum, I'm just trying to breathe.

Finally, she got it in and pushed the semen in. Then I got to lay there for 10 minutes or so, which was good because I was pretty uncomfortable and crampy.

Then I got up and got dressed. They are so kind - they give you panty liners in case you have spotting or discharge. Last time, I was commenting to S. how these are the smallest panty liners ever, I refer to them as "Barbie pantyliners" that barely do the job for my apparently "extra wide" vicinity. I should also point out that, in honor of the special insemination day, I wore "Lucky Panties #1."

On my way to work, I felt kind of queasy, a bit dizzy, and pretty crampy. That has come and gone throughout the day, but I think overall I'm feeling OK. Besides, I'm told feeling sick is a good sign that things are working!

Before the nurse did the insemination, she said that all the nurses think we should name our baby "Hunky Dory." Maybe that's a good sign if they are naming the baby already!

Thanks all for your kind thoughts and shiny, happy, uterine wishes!

1 comment:

UnrulyArchivist said...

Oh my god, I LOVE Hunky Dory!!! I can't believe I never thought of that!!!

I feel sort of sad reading this post because I don't think I realized how much you were going through physically. I didn't know you cried! I'm sorry...

I can't wait to tell Hunky Dory how much his momma went through to have him or her, no matter how he or she gets here!