Monday, August 25, 2008

In Memory of my Grandpa

Yesterday was my Grandpa's memorial service. It was a lovely way to say goodbye to him, with each of the 4 grandkids having a part in the service.

In honor of him, this is the poem I read at the funeral.

Memories

I'd like the memory of me
to be a happy one.
I'd like to leave an afterglow
of smiles when life is done.
I'd like to leave an echo
whispering softly down the ways,
Of happy times and laughing times
and bright and sunny days.
I'd like the tears of those who grieve
to dry before the sun.
of happy memories that I leave
when my life is done.

(I did not write it, don't know who did - my grandma picked it)

3 comments:

lilCherie said...

How sweet! What a lovely poem...that was probably pretty hard to do. When I read at my grandma's funeral it was hard but worth all of the effort to give appreciation to her life. She only had four grandchildren as well, which made our participation seem even more important. Give me a call if you need to talk...

UnrulyArchivist said...

That is a beautiful poem. I have to admit this gave me a smile after you told me about the nickname!! Glad to hear it all went okay.

Grama Ritzy said...

This is so nice. You really are very sweet!