Saturday, August 02, 2008

Jeepers Creatures!

As I sit here watching Shark Week programs on the Discovery Channel, watching sharks chomp on fish parts and all, I was looking at different news stories online and came across this one.



Here's the picture in case you want to examine it more closely.

Now, I've been to East Hampton, and Montauk beaches. Your average beaches, less populated than southern beaches, but sandy, breezy, lovely. But this story freaks me out, and I'll never think of the beaches out in the Hamptons the same again! Apparently "they" are now saying it is a rare raccoon species, but I don't know if I'm buying that.

Here is a list of some other creatures that freak me out, yet fascinate me:
  • Aliens and UFOs - it's that "what if" that freaks me out, and all the stories and movies that go with it. See my previous post: Alien Season
  • El Chupacabra (The Goatsucker) (picture at right) - an "urban legend," this creature supposedly attacks and drinks the blood of animals, especially goats.
  • The Mothman - a creature reported in the Charleston and Point Pleasant areas of West Virginia between November 12, 1966 and December 1967. Most observers describe the Mothman as a winged man-sized creature with large reflective red eyes and large moth-like wings. The creature often appeared to have no head, with its eyes set into its chest. The Mothman is thought to be related strange events in the area: UFO sightings, poltergeist activity, Bigfoot and black panther sightings, animal and human mutilations, precognitions by witnesses, and the December 15, 1967 collapse of the Silver Bridge spanning the Ohio River.
  • Deep Sea Mermaid - (note: photos below may be disturbing - at least it was for me) This creature was supposedly found after the devastating tsunami in Southeast Asia, although earlier stories using the same photos claimed it was found near the Philippines. The claim was that this creature, along with other creatures from the deep sea, were washed ashore in the giant waves. While disturbing (it's one of those things I can't stop looking at), it has been found to be the combination of a mummified monkey and a fish.

Of course, there's a "logical explanation" for all of these disturbing creatures. Sure, that's what they want you to think!

5 comments:

John Cobb said...

I think that it is an alien-hybrid dog.

John Cobb said...

Actually, this is the wrong article. The other is thing is an alien/hybrid dog this thing is a monkey/mermaid. There was an X-File about it.

UnrulyArchivist said...

I am fascinated by the Montauk Monster. Logically, my brain says it's a Photoshop-Gone-Wild, but there's a part of me that just thinks it's another one of the signs of the coming apocalypse. I think it looks very pig-like, personally.

I've never heard of the Mothman--creepy! The part that freaks me out the most is the eyes set into his chest thing....yikes!

UnrulyArchivist said...

One more thing--after hearing about the Bruce Ivins anthrax thing, I Googled him and found out he's from Ohio. What's with all the weirdos from Ohio? I'd like to see a post on that. It seems like there's a bunch of them...wasn't there a highway sniper, and I think Charles Manson was born there? I'll be checking back to see what you come up with!

Out of Orbit said...

Funky hairdo ;)