Monday, January 26, 2009

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Lately, I've been in need of a "break." Some time off from my life, from everything. Toward the end of last year, I had a hard time emotionally and came close to the breaking point. I told my therapist that I considered checking myself into an in-patient facility, and she told me that unless I had a knife in my hand, they wouldn't take me. Um, thanks? Maybe not an institutional secret that you should share...

Anyway, today is the first day of my "break" of 3 weeks. I had hoped to take a study leave, which I am entitled to next year, but it was not to be. When this was denied, I was devastated. But my super-cool boss helped me find a way to still take some time. So now, I'm officially on vacation! But I'm determined to make this time have a purpose and to hopefully come back to my life with renewed enthusiasm.

My super-cool boss gave me a card and a gift and told me not to open it until this morning. The card said:
On this day you begin an adventure of fun, discovery and journey. I wish you
  • the green of early spring
  • the humor of nature's wonders
  • the explosion of white into rainbows of delight
  • and a peace that goes far into the days and nights!

Have a delightful experience of BEing!

The gift was a hanging crystal prism. She's so creative, and what a great way to start my time away.

I let the weekend be a regular weekend, which was fun - enjoyed the nephews' Little Gym performance, and had a great dinner out with friends. I wanted today to have some kind of meaning, even if it was just a small sense of accomplishment. Sean finished painting the kitchen and we started putting the kitchen back together. We shortened the weird counter that juts out (if you've been to my house, you know what I'm talking about) and it looks great. Sean's done a great job on the kitchen and it's so much brighter and cleaner now. That, combined with the dent I'm making in the laundry has given me a sense of accomplishment.

But the big thing I did today? I emailed the mother of my older brother. The brother I never knew I had until a few years ago. The brother who my dad has still never told me about, even though he knows that I know. I asked her if he would be open to being in contact with me. She said she'd let him know and we'll see.

For me, this is big. This is a long time coming. I've had a gamut of emotions. Mostly, hurt that I went through years and years without knowing that someone who should have been a part of my life wasn't. I felt a bit like I'd been lied to all my life. And I am not sure I can forgive my dad - not just for not telling me, but for giving up his son at a young age and never seeing him again. I wouldn't blame this new brother if he hated my dad, and if he hated my younger brother and I for getting to grow up with his father.

So, I guess I'm just putting it out there that I'm open to communicating with this brother who I wonder about, who I feel I missed out on getting to know.

As they say, no one ever regrets the things they did, just the things they didn't do.

And I know it's a cliche, but I'm tired of waiting and wanting. Today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I choose to make it count.

4 comments:

Grama Ritzy said...

WOW, Marcy. Good for you. I am so proud, but at the same time so sad. You sure fake happy well at family gatherings. I didn't know how much you have been hurting. If I could think of something profound & uplifting to do or say, I would, but I'm at a lose.

Hang in there! <-- Not profound or uplifting, but do it any way for the hundreds of us who love you. :)

I love you!

Aunt G

Barb Powell said...

Hey, Marcy,

Wow! What a load you've been carrying.

As an adopted person, I know what it's like to suddenly discover family -- some of whom I would rather not have discovered, but that's a WHOLE nother story :) ...

Seriously, ENJOY this time away. Find the beauty in the small bits of life. And good luck with connecting with your brother. Holler if you need anything.

-- barb

Cass said...

Good job, Marcy! That would be a hard thing to do...it would feel so vulnerable. Whatever happens I am here to talk to about it! This could open up a whole new relationship in your life--that is exciting!

ragfish said...

GOOD FOR YOU! I always thought you should know, but as you know, it wasn't my "secret," so I felt I had to do what your dad wanted. Do you think that was wrong? I always thought your brother would show up at the door one day, and if he did, I'd welcome him in. I want to share what I know with you, so call me, ok?